Friday, December 9, 2011

The Final Days: Thursday and Friday

UNFORTUNATELY, my life in Rome is coming to an end. I'm trying not to think about it too much yet because I know it's going to make me sad. If I was ever going to see some of the people I have met again, I think we would be great friends for a long time. But we've come together because of Rome, and soon we'll go back to our normal lives.
I think I like my Roman life more!
It's hard to balance seeing the sights I want to see in Rome before I leave and finishing my school work before the end of the quarter. However, I have a checklist for both and I've been working on them daily. The school checklist is really boring, so I'll just keep you informed about the Roman one.


On Thursday, December 8th, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, the Pope gets to go to Piazza di Spagna to help place a wreath of flowers on top of the column there. The entire area was flooded with people--the streets were blocked off with security guards, that metro stop was closed, and hundreds of Italians were crowded all around. The papal helicopter was flying overhead and the news cameras were out. All of a sudden, Pope Benedict XVI came around the corner in some type of carriage. 

The previously very quiet, patiently waiting Italians started to get excited. I did too! Like I've said before, I'm not Catholic, which means that the Pope isn't a part of my religious infrastructure. However, I definitely regard him as a holy man that has the difficult and powerful job of seeking after God's will in the name of an entire sect of Christianity. That must mean that that man has a lot of virtue and faith. Therefore, I respect him a good deal.
After he came down the street, her circled around the fountain that you can't see, then went to the left, where he gave a speech from somewhere. Despite our most intense efforts, we couldn't see that part at all.
I do know that the wreath of flowers around her arm was the end product of this ceremony. There was a mess of people, then we made our way to Piazza Navona, which is entirely set up with Christmas markets right now. That was also a mess of people. Even during peak tourist season, I never saw this many people in one place in Rome. These things must be major family events for Romans because EVERYONE was out. We ate dinner in Piazza Navona, then made our way to Trastevere, where there is a Christmas market that donates proceeds to the EMERGENCY foundation. Then I got the biggest gelato cone of my life (when in Rome?) and headed home, away from the hoards of people.

Today, Friday, my roommates and I went to St. Peter's square to see the Christmas tree and manger scene (and to finally mail postcards for my mom..sorry, mommy!) . Unfortunately, the tree wasn't finished being decorated yet and the manger scene (behind the curtain) hasn't yet been revealed.
A trip to Piazza di San Pietro is never a wasted trip, though. I absolutely love being there. Today, there was the longest line I've ever seen to get inside the basilica (maybe the decorate it for Christmas?) We got lunch at a recommended pizza place nearby which was actually really delicious. We did a little bit of Christmas shopping on the way home.

Now, unfortunately, it's back to the boring part of my list!


No comments:

Post a Comment